nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 news

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:13:22 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Jeroen Massar wrote:

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 22:55 +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
<SNIP>

I also presume you sent them a check and showed them the business case for
the upgrade? No large provider is going to upgrade anything without a
business reason.

Current clients are already paying them at them moment are they not, as
they apparently didn't reserve any funds for upgrades of their network,
nor didn't take IPv6 along in the last 10 years of hardware cycles, thus
clearly having played dumb for the last 10 years, how should their

silly me... I forgot that stable ipv6 code has been available for 10
years,  forget my protest then.

 Oh, and some parts, critical parts even, of v6 are still
'broken'...

Yep, there is no multihoming, but effectively, except for the BGP tricks
that are currently being played in IPv4 there is nothing in IPv4 either.
But one won't need to upgrade a Tier 1's hardware to support shim6, as

shim6 is:
1) not baked
2) not helpful for transit as's
3) not a reality

that will all be done at the end site and not at the "Tier 1" level, so
that is just another bad excuse.

or bad assumptions on your part, it's perhaps a matter of perspective.