nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cogent/Level 3 depeering

From: Jeff Shultz <jeffshultz () wvi com>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 17:04:44 -0700

Alex Rubenstein wrote:

2. Level 3's assault method is to drop peering with Cogent, in
hopes this will force Cogent to purchase transit to them in some
fashion (does Level 3 have an inflated idea of their own worth?),
also forcing them to raise prices and hopefully (for Level 3)
returning some stability to the market.

I think I'd bet that if L3 depeered Cogent, the last place cogent
would go to buy transit to L3 would be L3.

I'm not making value judgements on anything that has happened - both
sides think that either tactically or strategically what they are doing
is for the best.

But when I said "purchase transit to them in some fashion" that allowed buying it from a third party as well - as long as it reaches L3 eventually.

--
Jeff Shultz
Network Technician

Customer Service: