nanog mailing list archives

Re: Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 12:10:13 -0400

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 12:56:00PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
Not only do I not know this, I find it to be patently false.  Yes, I think
a high percentage of users is too ignorant to know what they need or how
to get it.  However, protecting them from that ignorance only propogates
and perpetuates it.  Pain is one of natures most effective educators.

Fine.

But the pain doesn't *hurt* the people who cause it.

See also: Tragedy of the Commons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_Commons if you didn't have
a better explanation handy.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me