nanog mailing list archives

RE: 72/8 friendly reminder

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:26:20 -0800

a bit more coffee made me realize that what might best occur would
be for the rir, some weeks BEFORE assigning from a new block issued
by the iana, put up a pingable for that space and announce it on
the lists so we can all test BEFORE someone uses space from that
block.

So, it's probably a multifaceted problem:
1) acls (router)
2) firewalls (host)
3) route acceptance (routers)

Some can be audited 'easily' some are 'set and forget' (or forgot :( )

Ping might just be dropped to destinations, before any idea
of 'ip space'
filters (think www.sun.com filters). You really have to test with the
protocols your main user base might be using (http/https).

I believe this would have to be an RIR policy, though. ARIN is
holding an open mic to present a few blurbs on potential
policy at the Orlando meeting. It might be an idea for some
operators to hook up at the meeting prior to the open mic and
talk more. It's too late to make a proposal for this upcoming
meeting, but not the next one.

And that's a joint NANOG/ARIN meeting, IIRC.

<sigh>

this is not the ivtf.  let's not see how complex we can make things.
please remember yagni.  let's see how SIMPLY this can be to get 80%
of the effect for 10% of the effort and hardware sales.

randy