nanog mailing list archives

Outage queries and notices (was Re: GBLX congestion in Dallas area)

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:38:23 -0400

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 06:40:10PM -0400, Dave Stewart wrote:
At 06:12 PM 6/7/2005, you wrote:
If we started posting about every fiber cut of every carrier anywhere in
North America every time it happened there wouldn't be any room left on
this list for talking about spam, senderid, DNS RFCs, E911 for VoIP
carriers, err... wait which side am I arguing again? :)

I don't operate even a mid-size network, but when there's an outage that
effects more than a handful of locations, it's useful to know about it...

Not that there's anything I can do about it... but when customers are
calling and asking why they can't reach their application servers, it's
nice to be able to tell them there's a problem at $location and that no, I
don't know when it'll be fixed, but they can be sure it's being worked on.

But I think NANOG is certainly an appropriate forum for medium/large-scale
outages - unless someone's created an outage list someplace.

From down here, like Dave, at the relative bottom of the food chain, I
must agree with him and Steve, though I do understand Richard's
concerns there, and they're valid ones.

The Internet needs a PA system.

Problem is, the people who are equipped to talk, and, by and large,
many of the people who want to listen, are all *here*.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me