nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco IOS Exploit Cover Up

From: Scott Whyte <swhyte () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:02:39 -0700

On 7/29/05, David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com> wrote:

--- John Forrister <john () segfault com> wrote:
Indeed - Cisco's hardware, especially the older,
smaller boxes, tended
to be really solid once you got them running.  I was
just pondering a
few minutes ago on how many 2500's I configured &
installed in 1996 & 1997
are still running today, on code that's no longer
supported by
Cisco, and which are incapable of taking enough
flash to load a newer image.

As a definite example, A client of mine has a 1601
sitting on the end of a T1 running 11.3...  They're
not interested in spending any money on an upgrade, as
the box is doing exactly what they want: running RIP
internally, and taking Ethernet-in and Serial-out.

As a counter-point, many thousands of routers were needlessly upgraded
because of Y2K, edge to core.  Its not about reality, its about
perception.

-Scott

-David