nanog mailing list archives

Re: E1 - RJ45 pinout with ethernet crossover cable

From: "Miquel van Smoorenburg" <miquels () cistron nl>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:24:26 +0000 (UTC)

In article <cistron.cvn2v1$kc2$1 () news cistron nl>,
Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels () cistron nl> wrote:

In article
<cistron.Pine.WNT.4.61.0502251117300.4032 () tech1 office toastedmedia net>,
Sam Stickland  <sam_ml () spacething org> wrote:
Quick question: If I have two E1 ports (RJ45), then will running a
straight ethernet cable between the two ports have the same affect as
plugging a ballan into each port and using a pair of coax (over a v.
short distance).

Likewise would using an ethernet crossover cable have the same affect as
swapping the pairs round on one balland.

Or are the pinouts different to ethernet? I tried googling but couldn't
find anything (perhaps because I can't seem to spell ballan :/ ).

The pinouts are different. It's easy to make your own E1 crosscable
though.

E1 uses pairs 4-5 and 3-6, just swap those.

I wrote this from memory, and I got it wrong. Sorry. It's not 4/5
and 3/6, but 1/2 and 4/5 (as others undoubtedly will point out).

Mike.