nanog mailing list archives

RE: The Cidr Report

From: "Hannigan, Martin" <hannigan () verisign com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:28:29 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu]On Behalf Of
Hank Nussbacher
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 3:26 AM
To: Philip Smith
Cc: Nanog
Subject: Re: The Cidr Report

At 10:27 AM 14-02-05 +1000, Philip Smith wrote:

Well said.  At NANOG you get the clueful people cuz they at
least knew to
come.  That is a start.  But there are hundreds of ISPs out
there who don't
have a clue.  RIPE realized this without having to do a
membership poll and
rightly so, goes and does training where it is needed (and
believe me - I
am their biggest critic and all-around pain in the ass when
it comes to
their expenses as Leo and Rob can attest).

NANOG is not the place to do it.  ARIN, as part of their
overhead should do
an east coast, west coast and Chicago area tutorial at least once a
year.  And guess what - most of the training material has
already been
written by the other RIRs.

Am I misreading the report? That doesn't look like a list of
clueless people.

Just because another RIR does something doesn't mean we
should automatically assume ARIN should too. This is a
different area with different dynamics.

Regardless, you could always propose this to ARIN instead of
NANOG. :-)

-M<