nanog mailing list archives

Re: djbdns: An alternative to BIND

From: "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin () law miami edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:07:46 -0400 (EDT)

Apologies for interrupting the rehash of the protocol wars, but, as a sometime teacher of trademark law, I must protest.

Under US law at least, a trademark can only be sold as part of a larger transfer of assets structured to "include" the "goodwill". Typical examples include: selling the equipment used to make the good; selling the whole subsidiary.

To sell just a mark is not usually possible -- it would be the dreaded "assignment in gross" -- which leads to a finding that the mark is no longer protected.

(A mark can of course be licensed...but woe to the licensor who does not monitor the quality of the goods licensed.)

OK. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.