nanog mailing list archives

Re: potpourri (Re: Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors )

From: Adi Linden <adil () adis on ca>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:22:37 -0600

Personally, I'm quite glad for government regulations
regarding food safety, home inspection, and lots of
other things which are safety related.  There are
other restrictions which I'm not thrilled about, but I
have yet to hear a compelling reason (which does not
inherently boil down to a libertarian argument) to
stop requiring that anything which defines itself as a
phone-based voice service should have a working 911
connection.  The VoIP companies currently call
themselves "phone" companies, and by doing so, IMO,
they open themselves to this level of regulation.

If VoIP companies are regulated into providing 911 service, minimum
availability standards, etc is one thing. Forcing anyone that might be
transporting VoIP into becoming a Telco is quite another...

Adi