nanog mailing list archives

Re: potpourri (Re: Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors )

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 04:11:47 -0800 (PST)

--- Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
I can't speak for Paul, but, I propose that the
government stop telling
me what I do or don't need, and what risks are or
are not acceptable for
my family and allow me to make those choices for
myself.

This belief == libertarianism, no?

I take it you'd rather inspect your own food
processing plants, and not have a licensing system in
place for elctrical work (et. al.)?

Personally, I'm quite glad for government regulations
regarding food safety, home inspection, and lots of
other things which are safety related.  There are
other restrictions which I'm not thrilled about, but I
have yet to hear a compelling reason (which does not
inherently boil down to a libertarian argument) to
stop requiring that anything which defines itself as a
phone-based voice service should have a working 911
connection.  The VoIP companies currently call
themselves "phone" companies, and by doing so, IMO,
they open themselves to this level of regulation.

If I want 911
service, then, I should subscribe to at least one
telephony service which
provides it, and, which charges me for it.  If I am
willing to risk life
without reliable 911 service, then, that should be
my choice, and, I should
be able to choose voice carriers which do not
provide 911 service and I
should not have to pay for it.

Should you be able to subscribe to the fire
department?  How about the police?  That's how it used
to be, but that model didn't work nearly as well as
universal coverage paid by taxes does.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com