nanog mailing list archives

Re: Important IPv6 Policy Issue -- Your Input Requested

From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 18:00:04 -0500

In a message written on Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 11:46:49PM +0100, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
However, there is plenty of address space in IPv6 to go NATless, so
protocol desingers and implementers are unlikey to add NAT workarounds
for IPv6. This means it's very unlikely that applications that don't
use simple client/server communication are going to work with NAT in
IPv6.

As long as IPv4 exists, which I predict will be a long time, the
"protocol designers" which are really application developers for
your purposes, will write to the lowest common denominator.  API's
for all the major platforms already look like this; you open a TCP
socket to an end address, be it IPv4 or IPv6 in a dual stack machine.

So with the protocols still designed to work over IPv4 NAT, and the
complexity of IPv6 NAT being roughly "s/long/long long/g" (yes,
simplified, but you get my point) and recompiling your NAT code,
I'm not sure what will be the barrier to IPv6 NAT.

I would love to see a solid technical reason why IPv6 NAT will NOT work.
In the absense of that I will stick to my guns and say that it will
work and be available, and most likely sooner rather than later.

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell () ufp org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request () tmbg org, www.tmbg.org