nanog mailing list archives

RE: Cisco HFR

From: "Michel Py" <michel () arneill-py sacramento ca us>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 10:18:39 -0700

This box is the HFR which, according to the San Jose Mercury,
is short for "Huge Fast Router". (Some reporter at the Merc
probably still believes in the tooth fairy.)

Same as the BFR, I heard a different interpretation of the word in the
middle :-)

As with many things, if you have to ask how much it costs
before deciding to order it, you can't afford it.

You don't get it, me thinks. For lots of people here, networks are not a
toy funded by the taxpayer's money, they're a tool to make money and
popular wisdom that I have found being practiced here says that indeed
you _do_ ask how much it costs before you buy it. I don't buy a million
bucks peace of equipment because it looks cool and I just got funding. I
buy a million bucks piece of equipment because I want ROI on it, and if
the ROI is 500k over 5 years I actually don't buy it.

Michel.