nanog mailing list archives

Re: ntp config tech note

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:33:19 +0800

On Thu, May 20, 2004, C. Jon Larsen wrote:

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Jared Mauch wrote:

    I've found it useful on older machines (PCs with cheap clocks and
oscilators) to cron ntpdate once an hour to prevent the clock from
getting too far off by itself.  I've found the daemon doesn't do good enough
of a job to sync on it's own...

Isn't that a lot safer anyway than running a daemon (ntpd) as root ?  I do
this on my systems (run ntpdate from cron), even though the xntpd
docs IIRC specifically advised against this hack. One less
vulnerability waiting to be exploited ... is the way I see it.

Kind of. ntpdate just sets the time. ntpd will actually notice your clock
running fast/slow and slowly step your kernel time to deal with your
bad clock frequency.

man ntpd. Its quite fascinating.

RE the "ntpd as root" thing, is there a capability in some UNIXen
which lets you fudge with the kernel time/timecounter frequency without
being root?  I think thats all it really needs root privilege for.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd                    I'm only a fanboy if
<adrian () creative net au>         I emailed Wesley Crusher.