nanog mailing list archives

Re: ntp config tech note

From: James Edwards <hackerwacker () cybermesa com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 16:17:06 -0600

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 15:33, Jared Mauch wrote:
      I'm also wondering, how many people are using the ntp.mcast.net
messages to sync their clocks?  what about providing ntp
to your customers via the "ntp broadcast" command on
serial links, etc..?

      - jared

I have used NTP mcast for some time, most of my gear sets it's time this way.

I run mcast on the "inside" network, ie customer and internet edge interfaces
don't run it. There is no customer interest in mcast, here. Plus it is allot more to
consider if I let customers join my mcast network. Dr. Mills suggested
looking at manycast so clients select the closest NTP server (I have 1 strat1
and 3 strat2).

--
James H. Edwards
Routing and Security Administrator