nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verisign vs. ICANN

From: "John Neiberger" <John.Neiberger () efirstbank com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:34:31 -0600

OK, I have obviously missed something here... I know that the courts
dismissed
the original complaint against ICANN, but what has happened since,
and what i
s this about some conspiracy? Are they trying to say that users of
the anti-Si
teFinder BIND patch are conspirators?

No -- but the easiest thing to do is to read the amended complaint,
which is linked-to from ICANN's home page.

It never ceases to amaze me that some companies will move forward with
actions that they know will give them a horrible reputation. Does the
potential for short-term financial gain outweigh the benefits of a good
long-term reputation? Verisign, SCO, and Postini come to mind as
examples.

I can't stand the current spam filtering/AV email service that we use
right now (Mailwatch...ugh.), but should we change to Postini--a
supposedly superior service--knowing how slimy some of their actions
have been? That's a rhetorical question, of course, but I think it makes
the point. I prefer to do business with good companies with good
products, not bad companies with good products.

John