nanog mailing list archives

Re: Regional differences in P2P

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh () outblaze com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 04:05:27 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Florian Weimer wrote:

Private FTP sites seem to be more common among those who trade
unlicensed, copyrighted material for profit.  This is clearly
criminal.  Certainly this isn't what your average P2P user is doing.

Has anyone ever done a money trail investigation regarding this? The only
people I ever thought was making money off of copyrighted material was the
people selling "warez CDs" in the small ads in the paper, and that was 5-8

I have't seen all that much warez doing the rounds of random ftp sites -
quite often running on backdoored boxes in places with a lot more
bandwidth than clue level (corporations, student dorm rooms ...)

What I do get to notice is a lot of porn being distributed that way.

        srs

--
srs (postmaster|suresh)@outblaze.com // gpg : EDEDEFB9
manager, outblaze.com security and antispam operations