nanog mailing list archives

Re: Outbound Route Optimization

From: "Tom (UnitedLayer)" <tom () unitedlayer com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:57:39 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
I don't know if they're doing the same thing in Cali or not (they probably
are, since all the radio stations are owned by the same 2 companies),

Yeah, NPR and CBS, both monopolistic empires with the same viewpoint :)

but here in NoVA land there is currently a massive radio ad campaign for
a Rocky Mountain Radar radar-jamming product called the Phazer, which
claims to jam police radar (legally, because it doesn't actually put out
any RF, it is entirely passive) "or they'll pay for your ticket".

I've heard of this, and I believe I know some people who've invested. They
wanted to diverisfy from the IP Transit biz, and go into 100% pure sales
and marketing. I believe the quote was "man, its hard to sell hosting off
of an OC768 with my 2600 powered network, I'm going to greener pastures"

Then I recall the quote from the inventor, "I could ship an empty black
box with a weight in the bottom and only get 22-24 percent back."

I've heard that before, but it sounds so much better in russian.

Oh well, at least web hosting is still worse (ever notice that EVERY
hoster has an OC192 backbone, even the ones with 2 machines and a 10Mbps
hub?). :P

Yeah, the market for OC192 -> 10Mbps Ethernet is really booming!
Those puppies fly off the shelves like fleeing rats.