nanog mailing list archives

Re: example.com/net/org DNS records

From: Colm MacCarthaigh <colm () stdlib net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:25:05 +0000

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 09:13:39PM -0500, Leo Bicknell wrote:
I don't think I'm going out on a limb to suggest that names like
example.com should be used by _everybody_ in documentation examples,
least they pick something that might actually be used in the future.

To wit, the point is not that they "should not be used by anyone",
as you suggest, but rather, like RFC 1918 space, should be used by
everyone for documentation, example configurations, and the like to
insure they never conflict with a real service.

If you are going to insist on being really pedantic, get it right :)
RFC1918 space is reserved for private use, not for documentation and
example configurations. That's what 192.0.2.0/24 is for, see RFC3330.

--
Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp () stdlib net