nanog mailing list archives

Re: Converged Networks Threat (Was: Level3 Outage)

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:05:03 -0800 (PST)

--- vijay gill <vgill () vijaygill com> wrote:
How would you know this?  Historically, the cutting
edge technology
has always gone into the large cores first because
they are the
ones pushing the bleeding edge in terms of capacity,
power, and
routing.

/vijay

I'm not sure that I'd agree with that statement: most
of the large providers with whom I'm familiar tend to
be relatively conservative with regard to new
technology deployments, for a couple of reasons:

1) their backbones currently "work" - changing them
into something which may or may not "work better" is a
non-trivial operation, and risks the network.

2) they have an installed base of customers who are
living with existing functionality - this goes back to
reason 1 - unless there is money to be made, nobody
wants to deploy anything.

3) It makes more sense to deploy a new box at the
edge, and eventually permit it to migrate to the core
after it's been thoroughly proven - the IP model has
features living on the edges of the network, while
capacity lives in the core.  If you have 3 high-cap
boxes in the core, it's probably easier to add a
fourth than it is to rip the three out and replace
them with two higher-cap boxes.

4) existing management infrastructure permits the
management of existing boxes - it's easier to deploy
an all-new network than it is to upgrade from one
technology/platform to another.

-David Barak
-Fully RFC 1925 Compliant