nanog mailing list archives

Expectations or It can't happen to me (was Re: How Reliable)

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:06:59 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Bora Akyol wrote:
It needs to be as reliable as the services that depend on it.

E.g. if bank A is using the Internet exclusively without
leased line back up to run its ATMs, or to interface with
its customers, then it needs to be VERY reliable.

That's not very reliable.  On a "normal" day, 95% of the cash machines are
working nationwide.  Telephones, E911, hospitals, nuclear power plants
have a variety of "normal" failures all the time.

Humans are traditionally very bad at understanding risk.

As more and more critical services/infrastructure moves
to the IP/MPLS, the expectations in terms of reliability
go up every year. The real questions are:

* How much are the customer's willing to pay for it?
* What kind of reporting/management infrastructure we have
to enforce/monitor the reliability commitment in the SLA?

Unfortunately, both of those are marketing issues and have very
little to do with actual reliability.

One very well-known ISP had a "premium" Internet service that only cost
30% more than its standard Internet service with a 100% SLA.  What
you received was the same service with an insurance policy.  If the
service met the SLA you paid 30% more, if it didn't you only paid the
standard price.

Does buying travel insurance change the risk of the plane crashing?