nanog mailing list archives

Re: Converged Networks Threat (Was: Level3 Outage)

From: David Meyer <dmm () 1-4-5 net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:19:16 -0800

        Petri,

I think it has been proven a few times that physical fate sharing is
only a minor contributor to the total connectivity availability while
system complexity mostly controlled by software written and operated by
imperfect humans contribute a major share to end-to-end availability.

        Yes, and at the very least would seem to match our
        intuition and experience.

From this, it can be deduced that reducing unneccessary system
complexity and shortening the strings of pearls that make up the system
contribute to better availablity and resiliency of the system. Diversity
works both ways in this equation. It lessens the probablity of same
failure hitting majority of your boxes but at the same time increases
the knowledge needed to understand and maintain the whole system.

        No doubt. However, the problem is: What constitutes
        "unnecessary system complexity"? A designed system's
        robustness comes in part from its complexity. So its not
        that complexity is inherently bad; rather, it is just
        that you wind up with extreme sensitivity to outlying
        events which is exhibited by catastrophic cascading
        failures if you push a system's complexity past some
        point; these are the so-called "robust yet fragile"
        systems (think NE power outage).

        BTW, the extreme sensitivity to outlying events/catastrophic
        cascading failures property is a signature of class of
        dynamic systems of which we believe the Internet is an
        example; unfortunately, the machinery we currently have
        (in dynamical systems theory) isn't yet mature enough to
        provide us with engineering rules.

I would vote for the KISS principle if in doubt.

        Truly. See RFC 3439 and/or
        http://www.1-4-5.net/~dmm/complexity_and_the_internet. I
        also said a few words about this topic at NANOG26
        where we has a panel on this topic (my slides on
        http://www.maoz.com/~dmm/NANOG26/complexity_panel).

        Dave