nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anycast and windows servers

From: Joe Abley <jabley () isc org>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:40:20 -0500

On 18 Feb 2004, at 22:43, Sean Donelan wrote:

How well does Anycast work with Windows 2000 or XP servers?  Is the
Microsoft OSPF implementation good enough to use or do people port another
routing implementation?

Does the capitalisation of Anycast mean it has been productised, now? :-)

In my head, anycast is unicast without globally-unique addresses. Since nobody ever asks "does unicast work with Windows?" I am guessing you mean something different by "Anycast" than I do by "anycast".

What do you mean?

You can do the kind of Internet-wide service distribution that we do with F [1] with no unusual requirements on the host. (ISC in fact deploys clusters of hosts in each node rather than a single host, and the way we build the clusters involves OSPF on the hosts, but that's orthogonal to the wide-area distribution strategy.)

Joe

[1] ISC-TN-2003-1, http://www.isc.org/tn/