nanog mailing list archives

Re: using sniffer on high-bandwidth pipes

From: JP Velders <jpv () veldersjes net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 23:08:57 +0100 (CET)

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 10:47:08 -0500 (EST)
From: todd romero <todd () routeflap net>
To: nanog () nanog org
Subject: using sniffer on high-bandwidth pipes

does anyone have expirience using a sniffer on a hi-capacity network
segment, that might know if there are limitations I need to worry about?

example: customers doing EMC database replication across a mpls link, and
when the capacity reaches aprox. 250 Mbp/s packets are arriving out of
sequence etc.  So we need to put sniffers on both sides to capture some
data to see whats happeneing when the capacity reaches 250mbps.

Well, there was a nice presentation at SANE 2004 about using Linux
with some tweaks... It also compared it model and performance wise
with the features available under FreeBSD (4.x IIRC):
http://www.nluug.nl/events/sane2004/abstracts/ab.html?id=100

Luca is the man behind NTOP:
http://www.ntop.org/

Luca showed that moderate hardware is capable of handling Gb/s speeds
at above 90% capture rate if you use the right combination of logic
and tools (PF_Ring). In his case a moderate P3 and I believe somewhere
upwards of 600Mbps... The goal was mainly to reduce the load of the
CPU to allow the machine to actually process the packets it has
captured ;)

The ntop website has some papers:
http://www.ntop.org/documentation.html

tia,