nanog mailing list archives

Re: Summary with further Question: Domain Name System protection

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:32:28 +0200

    this should be pushed to
    the router.  don't waste CPU cycles
    on the Nameserver.

Hosts tend to be a faster writeoff cycle than routers in companies I've
worked at, therefore getting the benefit of moores law about 25% faster
than the routers.  Turn on firewalling in the host.

If you have a choice between access lists on a software forwarding
based router and firewall on a host, this may be a good choice. If
your routers have hardware forwarding, I'd go for the router every
time...

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no