nanog mailing list archives

Re: Lazy network operators - NOT

From: Paul Jakma <paul () clubi ie>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:15:06 +0100 (IST)

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Sean Donelan wrote:

I suggested using something like HINFO in the in-addr.arpa address
zones for service providers to give similar information about IP
addresses. Yes, I know, using DNS for yet something else.  LDAP or
RWHOIS or any other global mechanism could be used.

HINFO
      PUB     - Public address (unauthenticated user)
      DYN     - Dynamic address (indeterminate user)
      K12     - School
      PRI     - Prison/Jail
      UCT     - University/College/Trade school
      HOI     - Hotel/Inn
      RES     - Residential
      BUS     - Business
      ISP     - Internet Service Provider

Not a bad idea, but dont abuse HINFO, use a TEXT record or have a new
record type defined for it.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma      paul () clubi ie        paul () jakma org       Key ID: 64A2FF6A
        warning: do not ever send email to spam () dishone st