nanog mailing list archives

Re: Packet anonymity is the problem?

From: Joe Provo <nanog-post () rsuc gweep net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:58:09 -0400

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 03:36:44AM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
[snip]
in another thread tonight i see subjects like "lazy network
operators" and at first glance, those are the people you're
describing (who don't really care.)

however, that's simple-minded.  "because of the way tcp/ip
works..." is a very good lead-in toward the actual cause of
this apparent non-caring / laziness.

because of the way ip works, and because of the way human
nature works, many of the things that would have to be done
to fix this problem have assymetric cost/benefit.  if a
network provider isn't lazy, then everyone except them will
benefit from that non-laziness.  human nature says that ain't
happening.

I have heard the 'assymetric cost/benefit' rationale for the
bad laziness (sloppiness, not the larry wall-esque 'good'
laziness of automation) on and off the last few years.
Similarly, I have heard about the tremendous cost of sloppiness
and human error in terms of root-cause for networking badness
for the past several years.

Seems that these items are related...

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE