nanog mailing list archives

Re: Root Server Operators (Re: What *are* they smoking?)

From: David B Harris <david () eelf ddts net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:05:52 -0400

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:48:43 +0300 (IDT)
Hank Nussbacher <hank () att net il> wrote:
Verisign is a business and its goal is to make money.More importantly,
its a publically traded company whose goal is to make its stock value go up.
So, if we're interested in having them listen, we should be targeting
their stock value.Right now, I really can't think of a headline that
the NY Times or CNN could run that would make ordinary people understand
what's going on and encourage them to bring pressure on Verisign.Besides,
Verisign would obviously counter with the junk in their release.

So far up 1.7% today:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=VRSN&t=1d

Looks like they are winning.

Please take heart in the fact that the performance of IT stocks these
days is not in any way a reflection of the company in question. That
stock performance became meaningless during the dot-com bubble and
to this day it remains impossible to draw any sort of substantive
conclusion based on it.