nanog mailing list archives

Re: What *are* they smoking?

From: Tim Wilde <twilde () dyndns org>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:02:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Niels Bakker wrote:

A wildcard A record in the net TLD.

$ host does.really-not-exist.net
does.really-not-exist.net has address 64.94.110.11

$ host 64.94.110.11
11.110.94.64.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name pointer sitefinder-idn.verisign.com

It even responds on port 25 (says 550 on every RCPT TO).  Gah.

It's Verisign's return shot at the web browser "couldn't find this page"
searches.  Doesn't seem to have much by way of advertising yet, but I'm
sure that'll change.  I heard about this coming from somewhere last week,
though I don't recall where.  Probably Wired or the WSJ.  Verisign wants
the revenue that all those typos are generating.  It's just the next shot
in the eyeball war.

Tim Wilde

--
Tim Wilde