nanog mailing list archives

Re: Extreme BlackDiamond

From: Pekka Savola <pekkas () netcore fi>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:13:26 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Mans Nilsson wrote:
Subject: Re: Extreme BlackDiamond Date: Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 12:19:20PM -0400 Quoting Haesu (haesu () towardex com):

Don't mean to get off-topic... but speaking the Extremes..
Has anyone here had luck with doing some BGP stuff with Sumit 48i?

Not beyond lab setups, but yes, they speak BGP. We are about to
move KTHNOC to a new datacenter shortly, at which we will speak BGP
to the world using an Extreme switch.

I'd strongly recommend keeping away from "BGP" Extremes "speak".

Especially if you want to it to work.  We've seen a lot of problems, like
failures to advertise default routes, getting MP-BGP to work at all, etc.
I think the MP-BGP has been unsolved for, what, at least a year now.

Just don't use extremes as routers, and you will be much, much happier. It
_might_ work in the dumbest, unicast-only setups, but I have a lot of
doubts about anything more complex than that.

We made the mistake of one Extreme here as a router, and that has paid us
back with sweat and tears.  We'll be switching it to a Juniper freeing up
soon, and we'll be dancing with joy afterwards.