nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anit-Virus help for all of us??????

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:00:13 -0500

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:21:36 EST, Wojtek Zlobicki <wojtekz () idirect com>  said:
I would hate to blame the users here.  In most organizations it is the
role of the IT Dept to manage the workstations and not end users.

Remember that Joe Sixpack's IT Dept may not be available past 9:30PM
because it's a school night....

Yes, in large organizations, it's the IT Dept's problem.  However, I'm
fairly sure that the vast majority of PC's are home/SOHO/small company
boxes that don't have an IT Dept.  I know for a fact that a music store
I do a lot of business with had their computer (singular) set up by a
college kid who got paid in guitar gear and then split town.  It's worked
for 4 years, and the store owner figures it will cost him another guitar
to get it fixed if it ever breaks. :)