nanog mailing list archives

Re: UK ISPs not cooperating with law enforcement

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 20:47:41 -0500

In message <NFBBJLNCOLKBLIJLHFIGMEEECEAA.mborchers () igillc com>, "Mark Borchers"
 writes:

It difficult to tell from the article whether UK ISPs are refusing to
cooperate with lawful requests from UK police, or if UK police are
trying to get ISPs to give information without proper authorization.

http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=119873

It's difficult to argue with the premise that "it was in the interests of
ISPs to co-operate in investigations against hackers and virus writers".

I can recall posts to this list bemoaning the fact that the FBI was slow
or unwilling to launch cybercrime investigations not tied espionage,
terrorism, or other good, old-fashioned crime.

I haven't checked the law since the Patriot Act was passed.  Prior to
that, however, in the U.S. the law *prohibited* communications carriers
from giving certain information to the government without a warrant --
but they were free to give it or sell it to anyone else.
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/2703.html see (c)(1)(A)