nanog mailing list archives

Re: WANTED: ISPs with DDoS defense solutions

From: bdragon () gweep net
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 19:02:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 05:28:07PM -0400, bdragon () gweep net wrote:

I'm all for raising the bar on attackers and having end networks implement
proper source filtering, but even with that 1000 nt machines pinging 2
packet per second is still enough to destroy a T1 customer, and likely
with 1500 byte packets a T3 customer as well. You can't stop this without
addressing the host security problem...

Do you believe backbone networks should do nothing?

      I'm not sure what you are saying here, backbones do do
something, the problem is that it's easy to fill up a T1.  *really* easy.

I was asking about Chris's use of "having end networks implement
proper source filtering" implying that backbones should not do so.