nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fun new policy at AOL

From: Joe Provo <nanog-post () rsuc gweep net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 06:57:54 -0400

Funny, I didn't think this was 'aol-mail-policy-list'.

This isn't new, crazy, nor out of step with generally accepted
practices.  They [and many others] have been doing it for a
while.  A dynamic block is generally listed as such in a service
provider's reverse DNS and also often in a voluntary listing
such as the DUL. AOL's specific definition is point 12 on their
postmaster FAQ (http://postmaster.info.aol.com/faq.html).  If
a service provider is providing business/static addressing and
 not making it clear, thats a customer<->provider issue.

Whoa.. thats crazy. Obviously its an effort to stop relay
forwarding from cable modem and DSL customers but there are
*lots* of legitimate smtp servers sitting on customer sites
on dynamic addresses.

I suspect your definition of legitimate is different than
the service providers' on whose network these machines are
sitting. Use the submit protocol for client/end stations.
SMTP is for inter-server traffic; if you have a server on
a residential connection, check your service agreement. If
you have a business service being incorrectly tagged as
residential, then you have a legitimate beef - with your
provider. Not AOL and not NANOG.

I've numerous customers I can think of straight away who
use setups such a MS Exchange on dynamic addresses where
they poll POP3 boxes and send their own SMTP!

POP XMIT; SUBMIT [even MS products support it]. Use TLS if
you care that your customers are sharing their passwords
in the clear.  Anyway, postmaster@aol might be more
interested in your concerns. Then again, they set the rules
for their network, so they might not.

Cheers,

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE