nanog mailing list archives

Re: Lazy Engineers and Viable Excuses

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck Nether net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:48:40 -0400

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 11:29:17AM -0400, Matt Levine wrote:
In a real world scenario, I bumped into Verio's RPF peer filters
yesterday.

Due to the large outage at 200 paul, the /19 that one of my /24's is
out of went away.  Obviously due to prefix filtering policies, verio
didn't have my /24.  I had several people complain who were multihomed,
and did have the /24 from their other carrier(s).  Unfortunately, my
best path to these customers was via verio, who's rpf promptly blocked
my return traffic :(

        Speaking about this specific issue,  since there was no return
path in our RIB/FIB, we dropped the packets, yes.  If you were annoucing
the /19 or something that fit our filtering policy (in your
alternate locations) you would not have had issues.

        - Jared

--
Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared () puck nether net