nanog mailing list archives

Re: Who is announcing bogons?

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:41:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 bmanning () karoshi com wrote:
Looking at one log, the most persistant announcer of bogon space is
AS 4554 (Bill Manning), Net 39.0.0.0/8.

I don't know Mr. Manning's intentions, malicious or otherwise.

as has been stated on this list several times over the past few years...

net 39 was left in my care by my previous boss.

The Cymru Team lists 39.0.0.0/8 as a bogon.

Its a serious problem.  Over the last two decades, records of
address assignments have been lost.  Yes, its just a 32-bit number (or
16-bit number or 128-bit number).  A missing registry record doesn't
cause a problem, unless someone starts blackholing routes or reusing
addresses.

While I think many of the bogons are mistakes, and some are due to
malicious activity; we need to recognize the limitations of our data
sources.  If people are going to start blackholing previously allocated
address space, or sub-delegations, our data isn't that great.  As the
saying goes, you can't prove a negative.  We can confirm a positive
registration.