nanog mailing list archives

RE: AT&T NYC

From: alex () yuriev com
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 12:57:46 -0400 (EDT)

You keep referring to the problem of OSPF causing the outage
for AT&T and unaffected customers.  The AT&T released RFO simply states
that OSPF network statements were removed.  That can happen just as easy
with static routes and BGP network/neighbor statements.

OSPF did what it was instructed to do, just as BGP would have done if it
were told to drop neighbors, or networks.

OSPF network statements were removed, according to RFO, which I have
received, on one router. Can you please explain to me why customers in other
*cities* which clearly were terminated into different routers were affected?

Since we know based on our emprirical observation that it did happen, it can
be concluded that AT&T has bad network design. It does not matter *why*
customers who were not terminated into the affected routers could not use
AT&T network. What matters is that they *could* b not use AT&T's network
because AT&T's engineering made a choice of using a broken design. This
broken design is going to cost AT&T a couple of million. Hopefully, at some
point a VP of Engineering for AT&T is going to realize that his job is going
to be on the line if stuff like this keeps happening, at which point certain
engineers within AT&T are going to get their heads handed back to them on a
platter. Again, hopefully at that point, those who remain at AT&T will
realize that their existing design is broken and another outage is going to
cost them their jobs and redo it. At the end we are going to have a lot more
stability on the internet.

As far as BGP would have done the same thing: would you mind desciring a
configuration of BGP where deletion of a network statement in one router
would cause unreachability across paths that do not *realy* on that network
statement?

Alex