nanog mailing list archives

Re: PAIX

From: "Jere Retzer" <retzerj () ohsu edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:13:48 -0800

Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Any point in the US is within 25ms RTT (or less) of a major exchange; eliminating this 25ms of latency will have no
effect on VoIP unless you're already near the 250ms RTT limit for other reasons.<<<

25 MS is assuming that the only delay is due to the speed of light. Add equipment, especially routers or other gear
that requires manipulating packets and the delays add up quickly. I once read that the most people wil tolerate on a
regular basis is around 150-180 ms. I think that is much too high for regular use