nanog mailing list archives

Re: Certification or College degrees?

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <ssprunk () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 11:01:29 -0500

Thus spake "Blake Fithen" <fithen () networksplus net>
Stephen Sprunk
Thus spake "Nigel Clarke" <nigel () forever-networks com>
Certifications are a waste of time. You'd be better off
obtaining a Computer Science degree and focusing on the
core technologies.

If you're looking to write software, sure.  A CompSci degree
won't help you in the slightest at operating networks.

Usually what you say is helpful.  I have to disagree with
you here though.  A few things I learned in a CIS degree program
which apply to networking:

With the exception of Scheme (yuck) and patience (yuck), I learned everything on
that list long before I graduated high school.  I understand many others didn't
have the opportunities or interests I did, but it's hardly necessary to major in
CS to understand basic data structures, logical processes, and a few useful Unix
skills.

A CS degree (or other BS) may be useful to some who have no other means of
learning.  However, I can't agree that it's the best way of obtaining that
knowledge, or that it gives you any immediate way to apply that knowledge.
Likewise, a cert doesn't demonstrate knowledge, it demonstrates a particular
skill.  Obviously, the best engineer will be one with knowledge and skills.

Plus, when you are in the labs, and if you have the slightest
bit of geek curiosity, the mind wanders and you inevitably
have to find out how everything is connected.  Luckily the
curiosity blossomed from there.

I was a unix hack until I got to college; I made the mistake of mouthing off to
the network guru (hi cvk!) about the school's network, and got a rapid and
thorough education about all the useful stuff that my professors weren't
teaching.  I was hooked.