nanog mailing list archives

Re: attention network operators who are listed in blacklists! your problem is with the blockers, not the blacklist managers! (was: SPEWS?)

From: Bruce Campbell <bc () vicious dropbear id au>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 13:31:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

The very last thing you should do is try to contact any blacklist
operator and try to gget them to remove the entry for your server(s) or
network(s).  If there's no "de-list my server" or "re-check my server"
button on the main web site for a given blacklist then there's probably
no mechanism, formal or otherwise, for getting de-listed (and there
doesn't need to be).  Your issue is with those using the blacklist to
block your server(s) or network(s), not with the blacklist operator.

Actually, I would contend that.  When a blacklist operator has not played
Find-The-Authoritative-Database to its final conclusion, the issue _is_
with the blacklist operator in getting them to use the correct database,
_not_ the blacklist user.

Occasionally, the issue of educating the blacklist operator does fall to
the operator of the authoritative database, and a formal contact address
does indeed help with that.  However, education is a two-way process, and
with SPEWS intentionally being a system that you cannot contact, this
tends to fall down.

Now that we've sorted out the operational procedures for dealing with
these issues can we please stop all this silly whining?  Thanks!

--==--
Bruce.

I work for, but do not speak for, the RIPE NCC.