nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN requirement for "information refreshing"?

From: amar <amar () telia net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:54:27 +0200

Richard Forno wrote:

Is funny that both ICANN and law enforcement are trying to clean up whois
information to facilitate investigative capabilities. What a crock.

On paper, and in theory, having 'clean' whois data is nice, and helpful for
tech problems, which is the reason I think why it's there in the first
place.

As if nobody thought about having a 'front man' doing a registration, or
even that the Registrars will be able to truly implement such data-integrity
protocols, among any other ways to muck with this info.

I mean, garbage in, garbage out. Are they going to go door-to-door like
censustakers to verify this info?

The reality is it will never work, and besides - any smart criminal will
simply use another domain name, or not even USE a domain name.....a
power-user computer criminal shouldn't have problems remembering a few IP
addys. If they can't, they're stupid and deserve to be caught.

Well, rfc-ignorant.org have a different view:

http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/policy-whois.html

-- amar