nanog mailing list archives

Re: multicast (was Re: Readiness for IPV6)

From: Niels Bakker <niels=nanog () bakker net>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 17:21:54 +0200

* bicknell () ufp org (Leo Bicknell) [Tue 09 Jul 2002, 16:52 CEST]:
I'll be the first to jump on the multicast bandwagon, but I don't
work for an eyeball provider.  The first adopters need to be DSL
and cable modem providers, to the end user, on by default.  Then
we can go somewhere.

And when approached they'll claim that it'll melt their infrastructure -
and they'll be right in a lot of cases.  PPPoE and multicast still
causes a traffic explosion that multicast was supposed to remove.
When I was employed by a company deploying FTTH our vendor was working
on a hack they named "multicast VLAN" to avoid a similar situation.
No idea if they ever finished it (they weren't too keen with making
deadlines, in my admittedly short-lived experience).

        -- Niels.