nanog mailing list archives

Re: it's here

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <ssprunk () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 01:51:49 -0600

Thus spake "Ron da Silva" <ron () aol net>
BOTH linerate filtering and packet inspection should be part of the
minimal
requirements to sell routing hardware.  Hmm...so in case any vendor out
there
hasn't heard this directly from us, consider this a clarification of our
requirements.  And UUnet's...and ??  any other providers want to make sure
that the vendor community gets the message here?

The people paying the bill often don't have the same concept of requirements
as the engineers.

Don't get me wrong -- I think you're right and all gear should be capable of
line-rate bi-directional filtering (and forwarding for that matter ;).
However, speaking in general terms, when presented with a box that can and a
box that can't, 90% of customers will end up buying the cheaper one, and
that dictates vendors' development priorities.