nanog mailing list archives

Re: DC power versus AC power

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <ssprunk () cisco com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 00:58:39 -0600

Thus spake ip dude <ipdude () cattle-today com>:
Hello NANOG group. I am trying to make a case for using DC power
supplies versus AC power supplies for typical IP networking
equipment. Is there any published whitepapers detailing this subject?
Do you have any suggestions to aide my argument?

Most of the argument depends on the facility you're in.  Assuming you're
asking as an end-customer:

DC requires clue from your staff when installing/removing equipment, and
this means safety training at a minimum.  Power choice also affects your
equipment purchasing: DC versions of gear are often priced higher, and gear
not intended for telcos/ISPs may not have a DC option available at all.

OTOH, many colos -- especially ones run by telcos -- don't provide AC UPS.
If you want AC UPS in these environments, you'll have to provide your own,
which is expensive, bulky, and a maintainance burden.

If you're building your own datacenter, please specify that and I'm sure
you'll get a whole different discussion :)