nanog mailing list archives

How would LDAP help?

From: Harsha Narayan <hnarayan () cs ucsd edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:29:09 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
  How would LDAP help? LDAP is just a distributed, hierarchical,
object-oriented database. If ISPs only wanted to filter the right /8s,
they could do that using
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

Unless the worldwide LDAP service would be checked by every router and the
router learns what /8s to filter from the service. But then there would be
security problems here. Actually, something that would send email to all
the ISPs would be more secure (people would double-check before
filtering).

I don't see anything about the LDAP protocol that would help filtering
/8s.

Harsha.