nanog mailing list archives

Re: Paul's Mailfrom (Was: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () vix com>
Date: 27 Aug 2002 03:08:06 +0000

As a user, I pay my ISP to forward IP packets. If there happen to be TCP
segments in those packets, that's something between me and the person the
packet is addressed to, ...

...and, occasionally, your ISP's "abuse desk."  If this function of your ISP
costs less than 1 FTE per 10,000 dialups or 1,000 T1's or 100 T3's, then your
ISP is a slacker and probably a magnet for professional spammers as well.  If
they want to do some simple things to keep the "slacker" cutoff point at those
numbers rather than other numbers which are 90% smaller, you'll understand the
economics.  If one of those simple things is blocking outbound TCP/25, then I
hope you have alternatives including changing ISP's...

...but if you don't, then it's between you and your ISP, and best of luck.
--
Paul Vixie