nanog mailing list archives

Re: Paul's Mailfrom (Was: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org)

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 00:59:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

As a user, I pay my ISP to forward IP packets. If there happen to be TCP
segments in those packets, that's something between me and the person the
packet is addressed to, whether the destination port of those TCP segments
is 25 or something else.

Well, you might be able to pay your ISP for that kind of service, but
not all ISPs need supply such service and certainly not many users
really _need_ such a level of service.

So now I have to justify the kind of services I want to use? What's next,
me having to register the words I'd like to say over the phone with my
phone company?

I'll tell you what. I'll filter port 25 for the entire world on my
routers, and you mail guys go back to running UUCP like in the good old
nearly-spam-free days.