nanog mailing list archives

Re: building a better route reflector

From: neil () DOMINO ORG (Neil J. McRae)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 08:11:40 +0100 (BST)

Running two routing protocols is too much of a hassle.  I think I would
rather use static routes, and synchronize routers using rsync, diff, and
patch.  Our NOC has several 286s running Xenix that could act as servers
for this.

This would eliminate the hassle of running OSPF, ISIS, or RIP.  Does
anyone know of a Tier-1 for under $30/Mbps that would run something like
this instead of BGP?  I'd love it if we didn't need any routing protocols.

Why don't we dump IP routeing and have one big supernet on one big
bridge peice of ethernet? Wouldn't life be simple!

Regards,
Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae - Alive and Kicking