nanog mailing list archives

Re: Points of Failure (was Re: National infrastructure asset)

From: Bob Bownes <bownes () web9 com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 11:37:47 -0700

"Grant A. Kirkwood" wrote:

Sean Donelan wrote:

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Alex Bligh wrote:

The national air traffic system makes a poor analogy to the Internet in
this case, IMHO. If O'Hare got nuked tomorrow, we'd have some serious
disruption in passenger traffic. If PAIX fell into the ocean, OTOH,
traffic would simply route around it. Isn't that how we try to engineer
the Internet?

So in other words, yes, everything is important, and yes, nothing is
particularly important.

But there was a point in time when taking out a certain parking garage
in Va could have caused us a very great deal of difficulty. But I'd say
we are past that, for the most part.

Bob