nanog mailing list archives

Re: 214/8 and 215/8

From: Simon Lyall <simon.lyall () ihug co nz>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 07:51:29 +1300 (NZDT)

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Eliot Lear wrote:
I'm not sure the current discussion is timely.  Do we really want to start
a reclaiming effort of IP addresses?  Addresses such as Apple's, HP's,
IBM's and others were made long before RFC2050.

Well by the looks of things ARIN, RIPE and APNIC are working their way
though about a /8 each every year or so. This means that Class C space (as
such) is going to be used up in a year or two (only 220-223/8 is
unallocated).

There are still over 60 /8s unallocated after that which means we aren't
going to run out for a few years. When the numbers for broadband start
working however things could quickly get tight.

Still it's a bit off when Defence Establishments have /8s and probally a
minimal number of world visable networks while medium sized countries have
less.

A quick check shows that the following /8s have little or nothing of them
advertised into the global routing table. Of course there are probally a
few others that have the /8 ad and almost no actual use.

006/8           Army Information Systems Center
008/8           Bolt Beranek and Newman Inc.
011/8           DoD Intel Information Systems
019/8           Ford Motor Company
021/8           DDN-RVN
022/8           Defense Information Systems Agency
025/8           Royal Signals and Radar Establishment
026/8           Defense Information Systems Agency
028/8           DSI-North
029/8           Defense Information Systems Agency
030/8           Defense Information Systems Agency
034/8           Halliburton Company
045/8           Interop Show Network
046/8           Bolt Beranek and Newman Inc.
048/8           Prudential Securities Inc.
051/8           Deparment of Social Security of UK
052/8           E.I. duPont de Nemours and Co., Inc.
054/8           Merck and Co., Inc.
056/8           U.S. Postal Service
215/8           US-DOD

--
Simon Lyall.                |  Newsmaster  | Work: simon.lyall () ihug co nz
Senior Network/System Admin |  Postmaster  | Home: simon () darkmere gen nz